Teeth whitening is a cosmetic dental procedure that can significantly improve your overall health and appearance. Sparkling white teeth give you a younger look and make you more comfortable smiling and interacting with people. On the other hand, discolored and poorly maintained teeth give the impression of someone older whose smile has been impacted by the passing years.
Professional Teeth Whitening Options
If you want to maintain good oral health, professional care and maintenance are critical. Visiting a dentist for teeth whitening comes with the following benefits:
- Your dentist will do an exam to check your overall oral health before proceeding with the procedure.
- They will recommend the best teeth whitening option based on the condition of your teeth, any health issues, the desired results, and your preferences.
- Choosing professional teeth whitening means that you have access to more efficient products and equipment, allowing for procedures that lead to reliable results.
In-Office Teeth Whitening Treatments
Unlike take-home whitening treatments that require you to follow a daily routine for weeks, in-office treatments are faster, safer, and more efficient. Many take less than two hours from start to finish. In-office whitening is becoming increasingly popular as the results are overseen by a professional and dependably safe.
Some popular in-office treatment brands include the BriteSmile® bleaching system that uses hydrogen peroxide gels, the Opalescence® Boost bleaching formula, and Zoom!® whitening. These professional options may be more expensive than take-home teeth whitening kits, but they are also more effective in most cases.
The laser whitening procedure is one of the most popular whitening treatments offered by dental professionals. Initially, carbamide peroxide was used, but with advancements in technology, lasers have been added to the equation to speed up the chemical reaction during the process. Laser whitening is an in-office procedure effective for treating stains due to aging, tobacco use, or prolonged consumption of certain foods such as coffee and soda.
Why choose laser treatment?
- The procedure is painless
- Suitable for those with highly sensitive teeth
- The results are noticeable with just one session
Take-Home Whitening Treatments
If in-office whitening is not in your budget, there are several professional take-home whitening solutions that your dentist may recommend. They include:
- Tray bleaching – This whitening treatment uses a custom-made tray and a professional whitening gel to achieve the desired look. The gel is strong enough to get rid of stains, yellowness, and spots.
- Paint-on teeth whiteners – This treatment consists of a whitening gel that you apply to the teeth using a brush. Here, the gel hardens and coats the teeth removing the yellow color.
- Whitening strips – This is one of the most common methods used at home. They consist of thin, flexible strips placed over the teeth for about 30 minutes per day. The strips contain hydrogen peroxide that bleaches and whitens the teeth.
See Your Dental Professional
Based on the condition of your teeth, your overall oral health, and sensitivity issues, your dentist may recommend in-office or take-home teeth whitening treatment. Regardless of the procedure you choose, it’s best to schedule an appointment with your dentist to make sure your smile is in optimal health.